Compost Learning Program
GIVE KIDS THE BENEFITS OF COMPOST
with our free, compost learning program. Not only will they learn more about protecting the environment, you can implement all the lessons you learn in the school cafeteria and on school grounds.
Composting saves the city huge amounts of water usage, it enriches our soil and reduces the amount of harmful methane produced by landfills. Your kids will learn just how valuable soil can be and exactly how to make compost of their own.
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE COURSE?
- To help kids understand nature’s recycling system
- To familiarize them with the composting process and its importance
- To enable them to make their own compost
- To empower them to choose composting over the waste of the landfill
WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU TEACH?
- How nature recycles organic resources
- The water cycle, carbon cycle, and what makes up our soil
- Using our “garbage” as source of renewable energy
- The present day benefits of organic recycling
- Back Yard Composting
- Making smart choices for a sustainable future
WHAT HANDS-ON TRAINING WILL THEY GET?
- Building a school compost bin
- Collecting cafeteria food scraps
- Mixing food scraps with leaves and mulch
- Turning and wetting the pile
- Applying finished compost to a garden
ARE THERE ANY BENEFITS TO THE SCHOOL?
- Lower school garbage costs
- Reduced water bill for surrounding landscaping
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
It’s FREE, our way of giving back to the city.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE?
3 hours for the entire in-school, composting class and hands-on workshop.
HOW FAR IN ADVANCE SHOULD I SCHEDULE IT?
Please contact us no less than 30 days from the date you want us to come.
HOW DO WE SIGN UP?
Email us or call Phil at 512-844-8648. If you have any other
questions, don’t hesitate to ask.